In Berettyóújfalu, which became the temporary seat of the truncated Bihar County after the Treaty of Trianon, the “Count István Tisza Public Hospital of Bihar County” was opened on 28 October 1928 with 106 beds. The first director of the institution was Dr. Géza Böszörményi-Nagy, associate professor at the university.
Originally, the hospital operated with two main departments: internal medicine and surgery. Dr. Böszörményi-Nagy, head of internal medicine, in addition to his duties as director, also oversaw the care of pulmonary and pediatric patients, the infectious diseases pavilion, as well as the entire radiology service and laboratory. The surgical department was headed by Dr. Pál Fényes, who, besides his own department, also treated gynecological patients and managed obstetric care. According to the first hospital regulations, the institution operated with one director-chief physician, one chief physician, and two assistant physicians.
The hospital provided medical care for the part of Bihar County that remained within Hungary, stretching from Sarkad to Nagyléta, with a population of approximately 189,000 inhabitants. A significant portion of this territory—corresponding largely to the present-day Bihar and Sárrét micro-regions—still belongs to the hospital’s catchment area today (41 settlements with nearly 80,000 residents).
Despite difficult economic circumstances, the dedication of its leaders and staff allowed the hospital to expand, and by 1938 the number of beds had increased to 168. During World War II, the hospital buildings were struck by 170 artillery shells. Following partial restoration, hospital services were able to return to their original location on 21 March 1945.
In 1951, Dr. István Makó became the director of the hospital. His tenure was marked by one of the first major post-war healthcare developments in Hungary. During this period, the old buildings were renovated and modernized, and a combined hospital–outpatient clinic complex was established. By this time the inpatient capacity had increased to 496 beds, while the outpatient institute housed 17 consulting rooms, a central radiology department, a laboratory, a blood supply station, and a central sterilization unit. In addition, six service apartments were built for physicians, and through community cooperation swimming pools and tennis courts were also constructed. The development was completed in 1965.
In 1973, a new 144-bed psychiatric department and a 36-bed pulmonary department were built, raising the hospital’s capacity to 653 beds. In the same year, a 12-apartment residential building for physicians was completed, followed in 1978 by a 64-place residence for doctors and nurses.
Between 1991 and 1992, a new hospital wing was constructed. In the first phase, the obstetrics and gynecology department and the intensive care unit were relocated there, while the second phase accommodated the blood supply unit, the urology department, and the central sterilization unit.
In 2007, the Emergency Department began operation, introducing a modern single-entry emergency care system.
In 2012, the largest healthcare investment in the city to date was completed, with a total cost of approximately 2.5 billion HUF. The so-called Technology Block houses the central laboratory, the institutional pharmacy, the central sterilization unit, the central intensive care unit, and a central operating theatre complex with four operating rooms.
After several name changes, the hospital reclaimed its original name in 2008, on the occasion of its 80th anniversary, and once again became the Count István Tisza Hospital.
Since 1 July 2023, the institution has continued its healthcare activities as an integral part of the University of Debrecen Clinical Centre, under the name University of Debrecen Clinical Centre – Count István Tisza Campus (UDCC CTIC).