The predecessor to the Pharmacy at the Clinical Center of the University of Debrecen Teaching Hospital was opened on April 1, 1924 on Bocskai Square. Its task was to provide the drugs and chemicals needed by the clinics and the academic patient institutions as well as by the Miklós Horthy General Hospital with a daily patient number of eight hundred.
Today the pharmacy is operated in a three-story building with a floor area of 1,580 m2 on the first site of the Clinical Center. It was opened in the fall of 2001 and it provides safe, professional, continuous, and cost-efficient pharmaceutical services for 1,704 patients as part of its healing and prevention activity, while it also provides the necessary information for the use of drugs in the inpatient units.
Besides the ordering (and preparation) of pharma manufacturers’ and magistral preparations, their storage, distribution, and monitoring, it is also the responsibility of the pharmacy to purchase bandages, medical gases, clinical food, radioactive preparations, blood products, sero-bacteriological agents, diagnostics and pharmaceutical ingredients.
Besides the above core activities, the staff of the pharmacy also provide pharmaceutical consultation for patients hospitalized at the Department of Orthopedics. Since September 2016 another specialized service of the pharmacy includes the software-supported preparation of cytostatic infusion mixtures that play a key role in providing care in the field of oncology. In line with recent changes in legislation, the institution also participates in the purchasing of “special budget” drugs of hemophilia and hepatitis outpatients and their dispensing, as well as in the logistics and administration of “drugs with itemized reimbursement” representing a high value.
Besides all these, the pharmacy also participates in the graduate and postgraduate programs for pharmacists on a daily basis, thus many students taking their state exam and many pharmacist candidates spend their obligatory hospital-clinical traineeship here.